I know I know – you’re thinking nothing can truly replace the good old fashioned mashed potatoes and I used to think the same – until I tried this variation of mashed cauliflower and have been forever switched!!!
WHAT YOU NEED*:
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2-3 gloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup coconut cream**
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth ***
- 1 TBS minced fresh parsley (optional)
*NOTE: The Whole 30 cookbook also included 2 TBS ghee or clarified butter. I omitted and there was still plenty of flavor and the consistency was perfect which I attribute to the coconut cream!
**To get “coconut cream” simply place a can of coconut milk in the fridge for 1-2 hours and allow the water and fat to separate. Open the can and scoop out the “coconut cream” that has risen to the top”. But trust me – you don’t want to waste the coconut water that remains. Its AMAZING in a superfood SHAKEO!!!
***You can use more or less chicken broth depending on your consistency preference. Add more chicken broth if you like it extra creamy or keep the chicken broth to just a tablespoon or so if you prefer it really thick.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower florets and garlic and simmer until the florets are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower and transfer to food processor or blender.
- Add coconut cream, ghee (if using), salt and pepper and pulse/blend until the cauliflower begins to turn smooth in consistency. Add the chicken broth, 1 TBS at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add parsley and continue blending until completely smooth, serve warm.
We found this the perfect mashed potato substitute and compliment to grilled chicken.
I preferred it smooth liked my mama’s mashed potatoes vs. chunky. If you like a thicker, chunkier consistency – consider using a hand masher.
I am currently on Day 20 of the Whole 30 and Core De Force combined and while I am no expert I am absolutely loving the program, results and accountability from those joining me!!!
If you’d like accountability and support whether its for your workouts, nutrition, the whole 30 or all of the above – fill out the form below!!!
THERE’S POWER IN NUMBERS