I grew up Italian, with lots of Italian meals and never have I ever even considered making my own sauce.
I mean there’s SO MANY companies out there that make ROCKING sauces. Problem is – MOST of them have sugar in them!
And while I was a little intimidated to start I realized…this sauce thing isn’t so hard after all!
And as I complete Day 10 of the Whole 30 I have made this a second time so trust me when I say – this is a keeper ladies and gents!!!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat (I used coconut oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Heat the cooking fat in a large pot over medium heat.
- When fat is hot, add the onion, celery and carrot and cook, stirring, until the onion becomes translucent, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper
- REDUCE the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat, stirring every 20 minutes, until the sauce is thick an dsmooth, about an hour.
- Discard the bay leaf..
- STORE in fridge 5-7 days (if it lasts that long!)
NOTE: I doubled this batch the two times I’ve made it. We’ve used it over ground beef/turkey, over chicken, zoodles, etc. I love the chunky aspect of it – but – for my kids we blended it in the blender so it was super smooth!
I am currently on Day 10 of the Whole 30 and Core De Force combined and while I am no expert I am absolutely loving the program, results and accountability from those joining me!!!
If you’d like accountability and support whether its for your workouts, nutrition, the whole 30 or all of the above – fill out the form below!!!
THERE’S POWER IN NUMBERS