I saw the Ratatouille recipe in the Whole 30 cookbook and to be honest, was simply intrigued by the name.
I thought Ratatouille was simply a Disney movie?!
Nonetheless I was excited to try a new veggie loaded side dish and this one had all my favorites in the mix.
WHAT YOU NEED*:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 squash, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 gloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
*The recipe in the Whole 30 cookbook had smaller portions of each veggie. I found myself determined to have leftovers so I upped the amounts. I don’t think you can go wrong here! Point is – load up on all your favorites! Leave out something you don’t like and ENJOY!!!!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling oto coat the bottom of the pot.
- When the oil is hot add the onion, cooking until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the zucchini, squash and eggplant and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the red and green peppers, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water.
- Mix completely and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until all th vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
TRANSFER to a serving dose and sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar.
This was a great side dish with grilled chicken, the perfect burgers and salmon cakes!
Next time I will try this dish all on the grill in a grill basket for even easier clean up and more flavor!
I am currently on Day 29 of the Whole 30 and Core De Force combined and while I am no expert I am absolutely loving the program, results and accountability from those joining me!!!
If you’d like accountability and support whether its for your workouts, nutrition, the whole 30 or all of the above – fill out the form below!!!
THERE’S POWER IN NUMBERS