There’s nothing like walking into the house at dinner time with this on the table….
Ok – well maybe it didn’t look quite like that and more like…
Hey may be a bit messy but he is GOOD!
Nonetheless – my hubby whipped up this incredible, clean, chicken tortilla soup adapted from the FIXATE cookbook and I am excited to share the recipe with you!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 8 – 6″ corn tortillas
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (Leftover salsa chicken works great!)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp crumbled feta cheese
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Bake tortillas for 8-10 minutes on baking sheet, cool and break into pieces
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat
- Add onion and celery, cook for approximately 5 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute
- Add tomatoes , cook for an additional 5 minutes until soft
- Combine: onion mixture, 2 cups broth and HALF of the toasted tortillas into food processor and BLEND until smooth
- Add mixture into large saucepan. Add remaining 4 cups brother, chicken, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil and cook on low approximately 10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Top each serving evenly with avocado, cilantro, cheese and remaining tortilla soup
SERVES: 4 (1 1/2 cups each)
CONTAINER EQUIVALENTS: 3 GREEN, 1 YELLOW, 1 RED, 1 1/2 BLUE