Cooking healthy can be a challenge, especially during the week!
My kids are at that age where we run all day long, non stop and you cannot turn your head for a second or Colt is up on the table or pulling all the toilet paper out of the bathroom!
So…I use a lot of crockpot meals! This one is one of my favorites because it can easily be doubled and leftovers can be used for another dinner or lunches later in the week! Plus its super easy and full of flavor! And 21-day fix approved!
Makes 4 servings
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1. Layer the sweet potato chunks and chicken breasts in the bottom of the crockpot
2. Season with salt and pepper
3. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, red onion, apple sauce and vinegar
4. Pour the mixture over the chicken and sweet potato chunks
5. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours until the chicken breasts are tender
6. Serve with a vegetable or side salad (so you can get in your green container for all you 21-day fixers!) or over brown rice
I also like to use the Reynolds crockpot liners for easy clean up!!!
21-DAY FIX: 1 SERVING: 1 RED (CHICKEN) 1 YELLOW (SWEET POTATO)
I would count the applesauce as 1/4 of a purple or just the orange for the day!
10 thoughts on “Crockpot – Apple Chicken with sweet potatoes”
I just have a few questions about this recipe. I tried it and my chicken ended up rather dry. The only ingredient I left out was the onions and it cooked in the crockpot for roughly 7 hours. Any idea what I could do differently next time?
I am thinking maybe you just needed more salsa?! I’m sure the onions add a little bit of liquid as they cook but if it was dry some additional salsa would probably do the trick!!!
Have you made it again?
How do you measure out the servings? Do you use a red container? Or just divide in into fourths? Love this recipe! Even my bf (who doesn’t like sweet potatoes) loved it!
I do measure them!!! I am the worst estimator!!! So glad you all love it! Its so easy and perfect for these winter months!
This may sound dumb, but do you have to peel the sweet potatoes???
I do peel them!