Ok – so perhaps, strangely, this is no big deal to some but this was our favorite date night spot – we would indulge on anything and everything and ALWAYS get our own slice of heaven. But times have changed and while we enjoyed a healthy, balanced, portioned lunch when the decision time came we both realized – we didn’t need it – it wasn’t worth it! Not to say I’ll never eat a slice again – I’m sure I will – but not this time! But I also knew I could make something that would satisfy the sweet tooth and not break the belt buckle!!!!
That being said when this recipe popped up in my open FIXATE book we decided this was the time to give it a try…but we were missing a few ingredients.
I stocked up and am happy to report these were fast, easy, and ummm – AMAZING!
Serves: 16 (1 square each)
Container equivalents – 1/2 red; 1/2 yellow
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup oat flour (I made my own by processing oats in the food processor!0
- 1 cup whey protein powder, vanilla flavor
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea or himalayan salt
- 1 cup all-natural almond butter
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Line 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper
- Place oat flour, protein powder, almond flour and salt in food processor, pulse to mix
- Add almond butter and extract, pulse for one minute or until crumbly
- Add almond milk; pulse for one minute or until mixture forms a soft dough
- Press dough into prepared pan, smooth with spatula
- Freeze, covered for 15 minutes
- Cut into 2×2 squares
- Drizzle melted chocolate evenly on top of protein bars
- Freeze for 10 minutes or until chocolate sets
- Store in freezer for up to one week in airtight container
I immediately had to dive in and all I could think of was: Hello Quest Bar replacement!!!! I love quest bars, love love love them but I loved these even more so and I know everything that went into them!!!
This recipe is from the new cookbook FIXATE, by Autumn Calabrese. Autumn also created the 21-day fix and 21-day fix extreme workout programs which incorporate 30 minute workouts with a portion controlled nutrition plan. No matter what your age or weight or current athletic ability – anyone can eat right for their body type! She includes a variety of Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free and Paleo recipes.
If you’re interested in getting started and/or continuing your health and fitness journey join my upcoming Health & Fitness online Accountability group by filling out the application below