Water, water, water! Drink lots of water! Sure you hear it all the time – but do you still struggle to get in the recommended daily amount? One of the most common things I hear about in my challenge groups is that people are struggling to drink the recommended daily amount of water! You should drink at least half of your body weight in ounces…So if you weigh 150 pounds you should drink at least 75 ounces EVERY DAY!!!
Still wondering When? Or Why? Or How????
Drinking water at the correct time maximizes its effectiveness on the human body!
- Drinking two glasses after waking up helps activiate internal organs
- 1 glass 30 minute before a meal helps with digestion
- 1 glass before taking a bath helps lower blood pressure
- 1 glass before going to bed lowers your risk for stroke and heart atttack
Don’t mistake thirst for hunger! If you think you may be hungry but its not quite “time to eat”. Try drinking 10-12 ounches of water first and then see if you’re still “hungry”! Sometimes a glass of water will help curb those cravings!
There are so many benefits to drinking water…but here is my top 10 list:
- Promotes healthy skin and a healthy heart
- Fights infection
- Gets rid of Body Toxins
- Boosts your metabolism
- Prevents headaches, join pain and arthritis
- Boosts energy levels
- Prevents constipation
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Improves Productivity
- Aids in weight loss
Figuring out how to get that water in is up to you! I’ve found these tips to be most useful:
- Go to bed with a full glass next to your bed…Wake up – and chug!
- Use an insulated straw cup. I tend to drink more at a time when I’m using a straw!
- Always have plenty of water with you. If you’re going to be out for the day take additional water with you. I like to keep my straw cup and then a larger bottle in my car to refill later. The one thing I hate spending money on is bottled water – but I also don’t like to go thirsty – so staying prepared is key!!!
- If plain water isn’t quite your thing, try infusing it! Lemons, orange slices, mint, cucumber, or any other fruit! The flavor lasts through several refills and adds a bit of flavor without the added sugar.
- Set goals throughout the day, i.e. – 10 ounces every hour or 40 ounces by lunch and 40 more by dinner time, or whatever works for you! You certainly don’t want to be up all night going to the bathroom and its best to get the water in throughout the day rather than all at once!
Water consumption is just one of the many things we discuss in my health and fitness accountability groups! If you’re interested in learning more fill out my challenge group application below!