You asked for it and here they are!!!
Without a doubt the most commonly asked questions I get are about the 21-day fix!!! After all – this is my go to program and the one most of my challengers start with! I see and think about my food in color coded containers and I love helping others do the same!!!
And while the big picture is if “its on the list and it fits in the container you can eat it” there are sometimes situations where its not so cut and dry so I decided to compile some of the most FAQs to help you understand and incorporate this lifestyle a bit easier!!
First of all, I’ll cover a lot of the questions I commonly get below but also know that Autumn does lots of Q&A and interviews on her Youtube channel that are so helpful! I’ve gone through her videos and found answers to the frequently asked questions I receive. I’ve provided additional links and for more information as I found it!
- What’s the deal with PB2?
- Yes but…while PB2 is lower in calories its better to eat all natural organic Peanut butter. Its creamier and tastes better. Either way – count it as a teaspoon. See Autumn’s full response HERE.
- Can I eat Quest Bars?
- If its not on the list – you can’t eat it!!!
- Ok – so while they’re not AWFUL they’re not the best thing for you either. If you’re absolutely in a bind, okay, use sparingly, count as a treat (not red or yellow) but otherwise try making your own like these HIGH PROTEIN PEANUT BUTTER BARS.
- Here’s Autumns’s full Answer.
- Egg Whites
- Its about 4 egg white containers that will FIT in one red container. However from a serving size perspective and caloric equivalent – 4 egg whites would count towards half a red for your daily needs.
- As always – CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST – but yes, the low impact workouts are totally safe while pregnant and the meal plan is simply whole, natural foods – healthy for EVERYONE at every age – but check things over with you doctor first
- Same initial response as above i.e. – check with your doctor!!! But I was breastfeeding when I started the 21-day fix and I can tell you it is totally acceptable! Yes – you do need more calories and you may need to bump up a bracket but its all about the right foods in the right portions!!! As a general rule – add about 500 calories to your daily caloric need that you calculated and follow the portions! Here’s Autumns full response Answer.
- 3 Day Quick Fix – Shakeology – YES or NO?
- While I never like to go a day without my Shakeology – if you’re going to end the 21-day fix with the 3-Day Quick Fix then you do have to follow the plan to a T and leave out the Shakeo! Save it up and make some Shakeology cookies for when the 3 days are up and resume on round 2!
- Why are peanuts blue AND orange? Ahhh – this one got me for the longest time. It comes down to chopped vs. whole. Here’s Autumns full Answer.
- Should I prepare separate meals for the rest of my family?
- Why would you feed yourself healthy foods and the rest of your family unhealthy foods??? Autumn hits the nail on the head with her Answer.
- Popcorn lovers?
- You’ll be a-okay on the 21-day fix!!! 3 cups of popped popcorn = 1 yellow. Talk about a hearty snack!!! Check out this recipe.
- Butter – YES/NO?
- Yes – If its all natural and organic – count as tsp. Check out the full Answer.
- STARVING? HELP!
- If you’re ‘starving’ after a few days you may need to re-evalute. If you’re super active at work, chasing kids, have long days, etc.. you may need to follow adjust and try the calculation on page 76 of the guide. We are all different and react differently – following your body is important! Same thing goes for those of you who may not be able to finish your meals – here’s Autumns Full answer
- Kind bars
- These are one of the easiest “on the go” meals you can stash in your purse. However realize since they are more natural their shelf life is much shorter than others that are loaded with preservatives. Here’s the thread Autumn responded to on her Facebook page.
- Maple syrup, raw sugar and honey – Read page 15 of your Nutrition Guide
- Why not more almond milk?!
- The initial reasoning behind the limitations on the almond milk per the nutrition guide was because in general – it is suggested to NOT drink your calories! However Autumn did do an update in the Spring of 2015 where she shared that she will personally use up to 4 oz of unsweetened almond and/or coconut milk and does not count it as a container. So for all you almond milk in your Shakeo lovers out there – this may be gold! No more wasting yellows on the milk!!!!
- Should I change my calorie bracket when I can’t get workouts in?
- Naturally – it depends. Nutrition is key and this is simply a lifestyle not something to do temporarily. Here’s Autumns full Answer
- How about coconut milk yogurt?
- Given that there is no protein and 12 carbs Autumn believes this should be counted as a yellow and not a red (as greek yogurt is)
- How do I change My Fitness Pal to be a 21 Day Fix container tracker?
- From a computer, login. Settings > Diary Settings — change “Meal Names:” to container colors.
- How frequently should you do the 10 minute AB workout?
- Abs are a tough muscle to exhaust. Per Autumn, you could do the 10-min ab fix daily but recommended to do at least 3-4 days a week to maximize your results.
- How do you schedule the double workouts?
- Doubles week is recommended during days 15-21. It is recommended to do the workouts at 2 separate times of the day to maximize your metabolism and allow your body to rest in between as well as burn more calories. That being said if you can’t get them in at two different times, you can do them back to back.
- HELP! I’m at a plateau – now what???
- Trust me – we all hit that point!!! You feel like nothing is changing but that is why we always recommend pictures, measurements and weight to be taken at the start of the program. Some days the number on the scale isn’t changing but the inches are. And sometimes the inches are the same but the appearance is different. But I am living proof Its a combination of all the visual changes with the way you feel that determines your success!!! But if you feel like you need to switch things up try these tips:
- Eat from the top half of each list. The lists are organized in a hierarchy with the most beneficial at the top. For example looking at the greens you’ll see spinach at the top and while all veggies are “good” for you – those at the bottom of the lists certainly provide fewer benefits!
- Add in the doubles week every 3rd week. This will switch things up a bit, add some extra calorie burn and jump start that metabolism for a second time during the day – maximizing your results! Or you can switch workout programs. Whether its a switch over the Extreme or something like PIYO – keep your body guessing!
- Start your day with a workout!!! Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier – get up – drink a glass of water or E&E and get grooving!
- Eat different foods. I am a creature of habit – I tend to eat the same things each week but peridoically I will change things like removing my greek yogurt bowls for a week or two and replacing with hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit or swapping quinoa for sweet potatoes or chicken for fish, etc… Your body gets used to the foods you’re fueling up with. Stick within the range of highly beneficial foods – but switch them up from time to time. This will keep your body guessing and results coming!
I hope you all found this list helpful! If you have a question that you didn’t see answered within please post in the comment section and I will do everything I can to find you an answer and update as we go!
I’ve shared above some of the results from one of my recent challenge groups. I am a firm believer that anyone at any level can get amazing results with this program IF you’re willing to work for them! There’s no starvation, its just simple, easy, healthy LIVING!
- so lots of free apps out there, if that’s your fancy. I’ll share one more idea below as well!
If you haven’t seen it already Autumn will be releasing her new cookbook FIXATE and it will be available in July but only through your Team Beachbody Coach! If you don’t already have a coach you can create an account and be on the list for the first to know how and when to purchase it!!! I will be giving away 5 copies in a special offer in July – stay tuned for details on how you can win your copy!!!
One of the first steps towards a happier and healthier lifestyle is realizing you’re ready for a change. But you don’t have to tackle it on your own! I run accountability groups monthly to help others reach their health and fitness goals with that one key aspect that so many are missing…SUPPORT!!!
If you’d like details on joining – fill out the application below!