I found myself staring at a pound of ground turkey that needed to be cooked, an uncooked spaghetti squash on my count along with a desire for SOMETHING NEW for dinner.
I did a quick run through the pantry to see what I could pull together and I have to say, this creation was QUITE TASTY!
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 9 X 7 oven safe dish with cooking spray or line with foil.
- Poke many holes all around the spaghetti squash and cook in microwave for 7-9 minutes, checking to make sure cooked, but not over cooked. You should be able to easily pierce with a fork.
- While squash is cooking, begin to brown ground turkey with garlic
- When squash is finished, slice in half, and remove insides and “shred” with a fork as you pull out the “spaghetti like” insides.
- Place approximately half of the squash in the bottom of the pan
- Drain the meat, season with taco seasoning, 1/2 cup water, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Layer about half of the meat, followed by 1/2 cup black beans and 1/2 cup salsa.
- Repeat – squash, ground turkey, beans, salsa
- Add your favorite toppings (jalopenos, tomatoes, cheese if desired
And bake for 20-25 minutes.
NOTE: I prepped this earlier in the day, covered with foil, refrigerated and then baked it when ready to eat.
The leftovers are great and you can adapt this to many dietary preferences including paleo, gluten free and dairy free! I’ll most definitely be including this in my upcoming 80 Day Obsession meal plans!
To my portion fix followers;
- 4 cups spaghetti squash – 4 greens
- 1 lb lean ground turkey – 4 reds
- 1 cup black beans – 2 yellows
- 1 cup favorite salsa – 1 purple so roughly a 1/4 purple per serving.
So this would give you 4 servings of 1 red, 1 green, 1/2 yellow and 1/4 purple
Thanks for checking out my recipe! I hope you enjoy it!! As an online health and fitness coach I offer support and accountability to my clients in their health and fitness journey. If you would like to learn more about this opportunity group, please fill out the application below!