On a recent trip to my grandmothers I was generously given 4 giant zucchinis and my mind was swirling with ideas. We are big zucchini fans and I first though of zoodles with pasta sauce, then zucchini chips, then I remembered seeing a pizza crust once, but to be honest, that sounded like a LOT of work!
So instead of making a zucchini crust, I made slices of zucchini, into the pizza base! And let me tell you it worked perfectly!
I wanted this to be a meal, so I decided to pull out the air fryer to add some lean protein to the veggie base meal and it was the perfect compliment!
Like any pizza recipe, you could alter this to include mushrooms, spinach, bacon, banana peppers, onions, etc…
But for this one we kept it simple.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 small zucchini or one LARGE (about 1-1.5 pounds)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , finely minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce (I used Roa’s pizza sauce)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 12-15 pepperoni slices
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- While oven is preheating prep chicken for Air fryer by spritzing with olive oil, salt and pepper. I used the “chicken” setting on my air fryer which was 400 degrees for 20 minutes (this is the one I have: AIR FRYER)
- While chicken is cooking prep the zucchini.
- Cut each zucchini into 1/4″ slices & pat insides dry with paper towels (cut portion) and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a bowl, stir together olive oil and garlic then brush lightly over tops of zucchini. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Top each zucchini with 1 Tbsp marinara sauce
- Sprinkle tops evenly with mozzarella cheese then with parmesan cheese.
- Top with pepperoni slices (placing them more near centers as the cheese will melt and spread).
- Bake in preheated oven 8-10 minutes (bake time will vary depending on how thick your zucchini are and how crisp/tender you want them).
- At this point the chicken should be finished cooking. Thinly slice chicken breasts, place on top of zucchini slices, add additional cheese, if desired, and broil on HIGH for two minutes.
- Remove from oven and ENJOY!
And this just proves my friends, that healthy eating can still taste amazing while promoting a positive healthy lifestyle and weightloss!