So what do you do when your new nutrition plan calls for a carb load day right in the middle of the week?
Bake some brownies of course!
I tossed around some ideas of what we would enjoy on what we call, REFEED day, but decided I’d stick to my clean, gluten free choices, because well…this mama doesn’t need a belly ache going in to tomorrow’s leg day!
I have found other recipes that used chickpeas in desserts and quite frankly just assumed they would be AWFUL but I kind of have this thing about cleaning up my sweet treats and this was the perfect opportunity!
And when both kiddos devoured them after school, I know I picked right!!!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 (15-oz.) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or cannelli beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (or extra-virgin organic coconut oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup organic unsweetened cocao powder (I used dark cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup semi sweet (or dark) chocolate chips
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Lightly coat the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a blender or food processor.
- Next add beans, eggs, maple syrup, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Blend on low then increase speed, blending until smooth.
- Stir chocolate chips into the batter by hand.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish. It will be thick. Spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 25. Use the toothpick test to determine if they are done. If you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean they are done!
- Cool and cut into 16 squares.
Servings: 16 and ONE YELLOW to my fellow portion fixers!
WHAT IS REFEED DAY?
After 6 weeks of working out super hard, eating super clean & depleting our glycogen stores it’s time to give them a little replenishing.
This is not to be confused with a cheat day. Our macros were still balanced at each of our timed nutrition meals, we’re maintaining proper portions, we’re still eating every 2-3 hours and we’re keeping our other foods lean & healthy. But we’re also enjoying some not-so-typical meals!
If you’d like to learn more about the abs, arms, booty program the hubs and I have been following these last 6 weeks along with an amazing group of women I’m leading in my health and wellness accountability group, fill out the form below! I’d love to chat more with you about your goals!