I don’t know about you but we have no “grilling season” in our house – we grill all year long…rain, snow or shine – and this new recipe will be sure to hit the rotation more regularly!!!
PINEAPPLE CHICKEN SKEWERS
Serves 4 – 2 Skewers each
Container equivalents: 1 Green – 1 Red – 1/2 Purple
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 8 skewers
- 1 lb raw chicken breast, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (gluten free)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 8oz can pineapple chunks OR 1/2 pineapple cubed (fresh is SOOO much better if you can get a ripe one!)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 16 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large zucchini – sliced in half then into 1/2 inch moons (optional)
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes
- Place chicken in resealable plastic bag/container and add soy sauce, oil, ginger; seal bag and shake gently to mix. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to marinate
- Preheat grill on medium heat
- Place a piece of chicken, pineapple chunks and veggies onto skewers, alternating the pieces
- Grill skewers on covered grill for 4-5 minutes each side or until chicken is no longer pink inside
- Serve immediately
- Use leftovers for lunch on the go salad
Note: This recipe was inspired by the FIXATE cookbook, by Autumn Calabrese. I added zucchini and doubled the peppers and onions to get in a full green container rather than just 1/2 a green along with the 1 red and 1/2 purple.
Autumn also created the 21-day fix and 21-day fix extreme workout programs which incorporate 30 minute workouts with a portion controlled nutrition plan. No matter what your age or weight or current athletic ability – anyone can eat right for their body type! She includes a variety of Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free and Paleo recipes.
If you’re interested in getting started and/or continuing your health and fitness journey join my upcoming Health & Fitness online Accountability group by filling out the application below.