Because sometimes you just need a little Italian love but you still want to keep it clean!
I love meatballs – plain, with sauce, cold, it doesn’t matter! And these little Italian goodies were a hit – especially for my growing little guy!
And like most things I do…I actually doubled the recipe below and froze half for future quick dinners…this mama needs fast weeknight meals! Who can relate?!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs*
- 1/4 cup 2% milk or almond milk
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 lbs raw ground 93% lean ground turkey breast
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt/Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppers
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, lightly coated with spray
- Place bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl, set aside, soak for 10 minutes
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-low heat
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute
- Combine onion mixture, turkey, eggs, parsley, cheese, oregano, salt, pepper, and bread crumb mixture in a large bowl; mix well with clean hands or wooden spoon. Refrigerate covered for 1 hour
- With clean hands form turkey mixture into approximately 42 1″-inch meatballs; arrange onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 13-18 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
Serves: 10 – Prep time: 30 minutes – Cook time 15 minutes
Container equivalents (per serving):
- 1 Red 1/2 Blue
- Served over 1/2 cup whole wheat or quinoa pasta – add 1 Yellow
- Served over 1 cup Zoodles: Add 1 Green
- Served with 2 large romaine lettuce leaves: Add 1 Green
*For the breadcrumbs – I simply made my own gluten free bread crumbs by toasting some gluten free bread slowly in the oven and crumbling!