It’s not too often that I get a request from my hubby for dinner but last week he was quick to put our gluten free cauliflower crust pizza on the meal plan!
And with a childhood ritual of pizza Friday I figured this would fit in perfectly tonight.
It takes a little bit of time to “rice” the cauliflower but all in all its a pretty easy meal to throw to gether and my toddler didn’t blink an eye that this tasted different than the take out stuff!
- 3/4 head cauliflower (about 3 cups riced)
- 1 TBS garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a blended pizza cheese, mozzarella would be fine!)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 teaspoon basil
- 1.5 teaspoon oregano
Note: the above is just for the crust.
I added one cup all natural pizza sauce (watch the label for no added sugars), 1 cup of cheese, some spinach and chicken to make ours a more complete meal! I also think banana peppers would have been a great addition but you make it the way you want!!! That’s the one good thing when you’re making it from home – its all up to YOU!
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
- Prep a cookie sheet or pizza stone by grease it with oil. I used a paper towel to really rub it in the stone! Alternatively you could use foil in a pan to reduce the chance of it sticking!
- Remove the stems and leaves from your cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks. Add to a food processor and pulse just until the texture is similar to rice. I did this in very small batches – probably a total of 6 times to get the 3 cups riced! If you don’t have a food processor or Vitamix, you can grate the cauliflower with a cheese grater or chop it very small.
- Sauté the cauliflower for approximately 8 minutes over medium heat. (The first time I made this I microwaved it but this time I sauteed – not much of a difference!)
- Combine the cooked cauliflower and all other ingredients.
- Spread dough out evenly over foil (or stone) – about ¼ inch thick. The pizza should be about 9-10 inches in diameter or if you use a square like I did about 10×10.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust begins to brown and its cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the crust from the oven and add sauce, cheese and other toppings.
- Broil the pizza for 5 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted. Allow the pizza to cool for 2-3 minutes then cut and serve immediately.(Note:While the crust was baking I pan fried 2 chicken breasts in olive oil with 1 TBS of my favorite Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. The chicken was heavy so I broiled – then added the chicken)
I was so excited to share this with all my challengers!
So many people begin to eat clean or try to eat healthier and they think they can’t have their favorite foods when in reality you can – its just about learning how to make little twists and tweaks so you can enjoy new favorites and know you’re fueling up with quality nutrition – that you can still feed your littles!
Whether you’re new to clean eating or a seasoned pro, its always a good idea to keep learning and trying new things!
As an online health & Fitness coach I take in pride in helping others live their life in true balance with their health and happiness! If you’re interested in learning more about clean eating and not already working with a coach please fill out my form below and I will get back to you within 24 hours!